Wednesday, December 29, 2004

Yo-De-La-E-O, De-Lay-Ee -- G'nite, Magus...

Current Winamp shuffle: Daybreak Blues from the 3 Pickers CD, immediately followed by the Ramones and Judy is a Punk. In the time it took me to type and format that, it was replaced by Blondie. Gotta love that punk rock music.

Right now I'm talking to Korea Army Buddy about...well, nothin. In the past hour, we've covered:

*talk about his wife, who is one of my oldest friends and is having health problems
*his nutty mother-in-law
*the change in terminology related to mental health (the "impaired functioning" test)
*rare genetic defects
*whether I should write a treatise about morals and ethics (part of an ongoing conversation -- he's an atheist, I'm a pantheist, so it gets interesting and yet is entirely without rancor)
*the cord I need for my DVD player, which is apparently a standardized cord I could have bought any time over the last 4 months (d'oh)
*the reason why his blog would either be the most boring thing ever, or get him sent to Gitmo
*my lunar calendar from yOni which is not here yet
*how people above the Artic Circle never developed solstice/equinox rituals because they're not evident, but did know that the world was round a long time ago
*the Road Runner

Now Winamp feels like Nirvana.
Let me tell you about my radio.

A long time ago our friend Magus moved to California. He had to go on the bus, so he left some of his stuff with us, including his stereo.
It became common usage (our house was the site of a lot of parties back then) to refer to any weird behavior on the part of the stereo as something Magus did.
We apparently believed it real, because I swear my friend's musical taste has pre-weighted the Winamp too.
I have 400 songs, but the things he liked come up over and over. Sublime plays "Scarlet Begonias" and I can almost feel him behind me.
Magus, this is Elizabeth. I miss you.

Magus moved to California almost three years ago, to a town called Radcliff(e).

If you know Magus, tell him his dreadlocked hippie still has his stereo, and his bottom drawer, and that we're still looking for him.

The intellectual crap: I'm trying to finish Foundation's Edge, but things keep interrupting me. The evil promo-whores at Amazon had to get me all excited about Harry Potter 6 (I love children's lit and I'm proud) so I pulled out Goblet of Fire to soothe me. I normally have a policy to never read a closed series until all the books are out, but a huge fit of boredom back in the summer tempted me to listen to the audiobooks and now I am J.K. Rowling's bitch.

Finished recently:
Girl, Interrupted;
How to Behave:A Guide to Modern Manners for the Socially Challenged, which was delightful and made me laugh;
2001: A Space Odyssey;
& Olivia Joules & The Overactive Imagination for about the fifteenth time, because I adore it.

Waiting for delivery or special order:
Why Girls Are Weird, by Pamie of pamie.com
The Kali Box;
Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books;
No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days;
Principia Discordia, Or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger, because my tarot told me to. Also the Bob Dobbs book from the Church of the Subgenius, which I'm too lazy to look up.

That's the report. I'm going to talk back to Korea now.


Leadbelly playing Hitler Song, moving into AC/DC Bag. Good night, Magus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home