Monday, June 13, 2005

Angels We Have Heard Are High

Thanks to Bitch and Animal.

WARNING: THE NEXT PARAGRAPH IS VIOLENT AND CONTAINS OVERTONES OF THE SCHOOL SHOOTING TRAGEDIES. THOSE WHO DO NOT WISH TO READ IT SKIP DOWN. THOSE WHO DO AND ARE FREAKED OUT BY IT ANYWAY, PLEASE CONSULT MY SUBCONSCIOUS WITH YOUR COMPLAINTS.

I had a dream that the Artist (who, even though he cut his hair in part to avoid the comparison, really does look like a traditional Christ) and I were stuck in some very weird religious cult that was mostly young people and set up like my mother's old elementary school. When I got caught sneaking down the hall for a reason that was important then, the Folks In Charge decided to terminate the entire operation. Literally. We got out just as the adults were going nuts with assault rifles. Somehow one of the other people in the dream was a homemade-explosives aficionado, because the end of the dream, before CDHSarah called and woke me, was the Artist, complete with assault-rifle stigmata, turning a glass of water to blood to distract the religious freak who was trying to kill us all while the other guy detonated the explosives. (Other Guy is the one who got us out, and all the kids he could, and he may have been making the bomb in a plot to escape, but I honestly don't remember, only that it involved hair spray in some fashion.) I'm not sure if the Artist was Jesus, or just pretending, but I think the former.

It was supremely creepy, but means nothing yet -- no one else I recognized, for one, which is usually a hint that I am either blending dream with the one person I do know, or that I have actually gotten into delta for once and am having an utterly meaningless dream experience. I also don't feel tired, which would indicate Door #2. (Can any of you see that this is really freaking me out?)

Why am I freaking out? Because I do, occasionally, have precognitive dreams, which makes even one that doesn't fit what seem to be my criteria for precog dreaming a cause for at least mild concern.

The only true precog dreams I have, which are spot-on, cover meaningless and ordinary, but sometimes unlikely events. Case in point -- a year or so before I started hanging out with the Doctor socially (we have known each other practically since birth), I was hanging out with him and a stranger, talking about doctors. The other guy was the Artist. I watch out for people I haven't seen in a while in my dreams, because often they resurface shortly after -- like my mind is trying to remind me what they look like, so I recognize them. Other times, I precog things like Patrick beating me four times at chess, when I hadn't played chess with Patrick before -- but that happened the night of Fan Fair Suckage, and the chess set was out when I got there.

Those are the real ones. Then there are the monitoring dreams, as I like to call them -- the dreams that I experience where I know, while dreaming, that I am not in my own dreamspace but someone elses' -- only people with whom I share spiritually, usually, and usually a warning of some kind or another based on that person's particular symbology. I knew two days before he came to me with it that the Artist suspected his last girlfriend of cheating on him, even though we weren't talking much those days.

Both kinds are little, unimportant visions, that someday I might be able to take to a different level. I don't envy the associate of mine whose mother and sister have precognitive dreams too -- she was three when Challenger blew up, but she woke up screaming about "the teacher in the big plane" maybe 15 minutes before the explosion. Her mother told me this story, and I don't doubt her. I don't know if I want to have big visions...with great power comes great responsibility, and all that crap.

This dream was not precognitive, and I'm pretty sure it was just my dream. I will meditate on that further when the time is right.

So, how's your Monday?

12 Comments:

At 1:55 PM, Blogger Special Sauce said...

Yikes. Not quite so bloody as that, is how my Monday is.

85% of the time, I can't remember my dreams. The ones I do remember are usually ultra-bizarre, but have some element of reality-to-come in them. Still creepy. I hope yours was just random dreaming, and not an indicator of anything to come.

Tapioca McGee says "Myaaaaa!" to you and yours.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

*pssst...cut it out with the code words, Sauce!*

My Monday is going pretty well. The Boss and The BIG Boss drove in from Nashville to spend the day with me. They're pretty fun and low key so it was enjoyable but any observation by "the powers that be" can be somewhat nerve wracking.

I don't think that I've ever had a precognitive dream, fortunately. On the other hand, my dreams speak VERY clearly for my subconscious and/or my body. If I'm anemic, I dream about cows. If I'm stressed, I dream about people chasing me or my teeth falling out. If I'm sick, I have amorphous nightmares that I don't remember. My body is very talented at hitting me with a big proverbial stick.

So, Columbine-style dream, huh? Scary. In my case, hot cocoa and a good book would help a lot. I dunno if it would have the same effect in your case. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

Thanks, y'all. Once I got fully awake and processed things, I was far less freaked out.

I'm still a little hinky though.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

I get lucid dreams, but not precog ones, except for a couple may be. My precognition takes place in the form of a strong feeling when I'm conscious.

 
At 1:35 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

According to Steve King, MWN, dreaming about your teeth falling out means you're going to become a Tommyknocker. I like that better.

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

I think you're both right: I'm a sexually frustrated Tommyknocker. I would eat babies for breakfast but the chewing part is kinda hard without any teeth. I don't look much like Marg Helgenberger, though. Or Traci Lords, for that matter. (If I did, "lack of..ahem...contact" wouldn't be a problem. :-) And I'm about 50% sure that there haven't been any spaceship crashes in Memphis any time recently.

Or did you mean Tommyknocker in the Cornish pixie sense? 'Cause I? Am definitely feeling mischeivous today.

 
At 9:30 PM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Oh my gosh, I've had those teeth dreams so many times! But I've heard another theory, except I forgot what it was, but it wasn't anything good. : (

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

I meant "Tommyknocker" in the Steve King novel sense, which wouldn't require a recent crash...the glaciers had broken around the spaceship in the story. (although Weakley County, where I used to live, had UFO sightings out the yin-yang (and cattle desanguination, for that matter).)

Something else weird? You actually can use a hairdryer and hairspray to make a bomb, if you have some other, unspecified stuff, per my therapist, who is an Army vet. Freaked me right out all over again.

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

Hee! I don't know about the hairsprayer but when I was a kid I loved to create a flamethrower by spraying hairspray through a lit match. Damn, I thought that was the coolest thing I had ever seen. No wonder I work in mental health now. :-)

GA, Cancers are *such* a pain in the ass. We're moody little bastards with a horrible penchant for getting our feelings hurt by the tiniest little thing. But don't you just love that nurturing side? We're perfect to have around when you're sick...gallons of chicken noodle soup, mountains of saltine crackers, and we'll wait on you hand and foot.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MWN, I completely agree. ARGH! My two best friends from high school and my father are Cancers. Moody little bastards indeed. But I have a penchant for loving them. Then, to further the water-signs-in-my-live, I am currently living with a Scorpio. Lots of similar traits. *shakes head* One could drown.

 
At 1:56 AM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

MWN, my European history teacher in high school told us a very interesting tale of his college days, involving the dorm asshole, his roommate, a German exam, and the words "Das ist mein klein flammenwerfer."

I have no problem with Cancers, they calm and soothe me most of the time. But then again, I'm a Leo, surrounded by other Leos and a few other fire signs, for the most part, and they drive me craaaazy.

 
At 1:12 AM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

I have seen your husband give you the coddling Cancer treatment, GoddessA, but you're right that you and he are usually sick at the same time...although it's even odds which one of you whines more when you are sick. And I used to live with y'all, so I can say that.

It's my job as a Leo, after all. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home