Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Tagged! Bagged! Mantra'ed!

Hola folks from the land of Secret Squirrel...still no fixin' on the horizon, but I should get that all ready to happen tomorrow. If I don't wake up feeling worse than I feel now, which is pretty bad.

Anyway, Irina tagged her readership, and although I don't usually do the meme thing, I decided I'd hit this one.

Total number of books I've owned:
No. Idea. Over a thousand, I'm sure, as I know I have nearly that in the apartment, not counting all the ones in storage, lost, given away....I'm on my fourth and fifth copies of some of my favorites.

The last Book I Bought:
I bought 9 books at a stretch the last time and am eagerly awaiting their delivery. Here they are:
Sickened by Julie Gregory...this is a memoir of a Munchausens-by-proxy childhood, and it'll probably be the first one I read when the books actually arrive.
The Gypsy Game, Janie's Private Eyes, Blair's Nightmare, and And All Between by Zilpha Keatley Snyder...all sequels to books of hers I read when I was a kid. Thanks to the Pamie.com message board, I found out some of them were trilogies or series, and promptly went and got several of the ones I was missing.
Expanded Universe by Robert Heinlein. I had a copy of this at some goddamned point in time, but I don't know who the hell I lent it to and it's less aggro just to get a 75-cent copy on Half.com than to try and track down the miscreant.
Downsize This! and Stupid White Men by Michael Moore. I'm not Mike's biggest fan, nor his harshest critic, but I do tend to buy his stuff used and not new, so make of that what you will.
Lastly, Getting Mother's Body by Suzan-Lori Parks. I don't know anyone who has read this, but the review I read of it in the Nashville Scene ages ago made me add it to my wishlist, and when I saw it had dropped into my price range I snatched it up. I'll keep you posted.

Also, I only spent $2.92/book on this venture, even though the shipping was more than the book cost. I came out ahead.

The Last Book I Read:
I'm right in the middle of re-reading The Moon is a Harsh Mistress for the fifty-billionth time. The last new (not-read-before) book I finished was a bio of Barbara Jordan sent to me by my lovely and gracious ET. I'm also reading Conversations with Seth whenever I'm at Tish's place.


Five books that mean something to me:

Stranger in a Strange Land. Um. Yeah. If you read this blog at all, you knew that already.
Principia Discordia. Ditto.
The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz. I recommend this book to basically everyone I meet. Changed my life, although not as much as #1.
Sister Light, Sister Dark/White Jenna by Jane Yolen. My first introduction to the Goddess. I've read the third book, The One-Armed Queen, and it's good, but didn't punch me in the gut the way the other two did. Of course, there was a decade between all that, so that's prolly why.
The Dark Tower by Stephen King. All 7 books, actually, although the last one is the one that had me up at 5 am, still reading through barking sobs that brought my cats running to see what was wrong with Mom. I believe I literally wailed at one point.

So, there's that.

Nothing to report this end, other than starting a 40-day Saraswati mantra with the rest of the group...we strung our mala tonight and started the discipline. I'm trying to do 100,000 reps in the 40 days, but not obsessing on it, as that requires 25 reps per day and I don't know if I'm there yet. Anyway, hope to be back soon, with more to report.

5 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love book-related posts. Zilpa Keatly Snyder rocks my socks.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

100,000 reps, not 125,000. We talked about this...and the last 8,0000 reps go to God. The 125k thing is something Different, Sarah. Gaaaah. Anyway, there's no math in your universe.

The Artist gave me lung disease and I had to go get Reiki'd by Tish today...have you read the Margaret Atwood about Grace? I have it at the house and should be home after nineish.

 
At 8:02 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Special Sauce said...

Gah! I hope your galloping plague is soon gone, and you're feeling 100% again.

And, OK, I need to read Heinlein, as I never have. (commence the pointing and giggling) Which book is best for the uninitiated to start with?

 
At 12:17 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

Stranger is the best book EVER. EVER. EVER.

Moon Is A Harsh Mistress ain't bad either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home