Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Blog Updates, Not Trip Updates

I still haven't collected my thoughts with regards to my trip over the weekend...Tuesday was very busy, catching up on the Internets and emails and trying to get the cats to acknowledge my existence after my unforgivable four-day absence. The Middle Kitty has consented to come down off the top of the fridge, and even gave me a few minutes of lap-time until the sound of the keys started to get on his nerves.

Also, there is another major distraction....the new Harry Potter book. I like to "read" them first by listening to the audiobooks, as the reader is truly amazing, and have continued my tradition with The Half-Blood Prince. Unfortunately, I have great difficulty in doing anything other than the most mundane of tasks while doing the first listen-through, so instead of working on my trip post, I finally took the excellent userguide provided to me by ET via MWN in order to get the list of links you now see to the right up and running.

I am half-dead with excitement to find out what's going to happen in Book 6, so if I'm a bit distracted for the next day or so, don't take it personally. When I return, I will tell you both of my voyage and of my impressions of the next-to-last installment. (Apparently the Artist gave me the wrong spoiler info, so other than "death of a major character", which I've known since last year, I'm as much in the dark as anyone else.)

If you miss me that badly, you can always check out my new reviews of Odd Girl Out and From a Buick 8...

See you when the book's over. In the meantime, also keep Special Sauce and her opportunity to work with Chillin & Yoot in your positive thoughts, prayers, or closest analog. She rocked her interview, of course, but every little bit counts.

4 Comments:

At 12:36 AM, Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

I'm very sad that you were out of town; I was in Nashville on Monday and would have liked to have lunch with you. I thought about you as I drove into town. Alas, it was a very, very boring trip. Maybe next time?

Out of curiosity, how long is the drive from Cookeville to Nashville? I have a friend in Cookeville.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

Cookeville is about an hour and a half from Nashville. (That do suck, MWN. Email me and I'll get you some contact info.) It's straight down I-40.

I have a sworn enemy in Cookeville, but I doubt they're the same person.

 
At 6:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy Harry Potter...I've never read any of them (and I'm not ashamed to say that), so at work, in the library, last week on the day of the books release I had to disappoint so many kids (and adults) by answering "No, I'm not that excited about the new book..."

I felt I was telling them there is no Santa. Every one of them looked at me with utter disappointment and a hint of contempt.

Are the books that good?

 
At 1:53 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

Let me put it this way, Louise.

I am a huge book slut, and ever since I waited almost a decade to be able to finish the Stephen King Dark Tower series, I have sworn a solemn oath to NEVER start a closed series until it is finished. Waiting drives me crazy.

Last summer J.K. Rowling tricked me into starting Harry Potter. I've been on tenterhooks all year, and my audio copy has left me high and dry around chapter 14, which almost made me have a tantrum earlier. They are that good...written for children, but aging with them, and her grasp of adolescents especially is A-1.

But wait until the seventh book comes out, if you have held out this long. Otherwise you might be where I'm at with it...in a state of pure exasperation because I can't finish the book, or the series, right now, today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home