Monday, December 19, 2005

Letters & Sodas

I want all that stupid old shit
Like letters and sodas.

Liz Phair, Fuck & Run

So, the year in review.
I had a job. I lost it, but I had another job so it was OK. I went to a pagan festival. I had no phone, had a phone again, lost it, got it back. I started studying a new religion. I lost some friends and made some different ones, and one of the most important ones up and went to Baltimore, presumably to return for visits.

I'm still a celibate. After this calendar year ends, that may be different. Because, like Liz Phair, I want a boyfriend. Or a girlfriend. Actually, the latter would be preferable.

You do a lot of thinking when you don't have distractions. I figured some things out over the past year and a bit.

I have never had a casual relationship. Honestly, I've never "dated" by most people's standards. My life breaks down into two categories: one-night stands and long-term boy/girlfriends, complete with the requisite long and agonizing breakups.

So I'd rather split the difference....the whole "meet someone, take them home, sleep with them" thing was never really my bag, and I'm just not up for a hugely complicated and committed thing right at the moment...although if one developed, it's not out of the question. But for the moment, letters and sodas sounds about right to me -- and dinner. Dinner would be nice. Eating with CDHSarah is nice, but she has a husband, and eventually it gets old fishing around for someone to accompany you so you don't just take your book to dinner. Again.

So, here's looking for a boy/girl of appropriate orientation who likes books, dinner, letters and sodas. Because it's awfully hard to get drinks out of the girl who doesn't.

I may sound like a loser (OK, I do sound like a loser). But at least now I know what I want. Happy New Year, y'all. Next time I'll tell you about Yule.

***ETA***
For those of you who may be wondering, the Little Kitty reappeared in the house, by magic (or because the maintenance guy put her through the door I left unlocked, but until he confirms this I'm going with the former theory), two days after she originally disappeared. She's fine. Actually, she's sleeping on the skirt I plan to wear to Christmas church service, so I'm about to have to move her, but she's A-OK.

5 Comments:

At 6:17 PM, Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

Okay, I have a completely off-topic question but your quote made me think of it and I've been wondering this for a few years: WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED TO LIZ PHAIR? Remember when she was doing Exile in Guyville? Yeah, she was cool. Angry, bitter and very cool. What is this pop stuff she does now? Seriously. What happened? Did she go and fall in love or something? Get an accidental dose of the Christina Aguilera virus? (there's a lot of those going around, but I don't mean the sexually transmitted kind) Find God? Seriously, WTF? Or am I way off base here and do I need to give her another chance? Somebody with good musical knowledge, please share your insight!

And PS - hi. :-) Good luck with the celibacy thing. Books, dinners, letters and sodas sound just about perfect.

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Irina Tsukerman said...

Good luck finding an (in)significant other! ; )

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

Thanks, 'Rina. I have a feeling that one is simply going to stumble across my field of vision, as usual.

MWN, I know! Exile in Guyville -- awesome, angry, kickass. Whitechocolatespaceegg -- trippy and cool. Everything since then -- total and utter crap. I blame it on the fact that indie cred doesn't pay the rent. Or on her multiple appearances on Charmed. That's enough to make anyone uncool forever. Don't give her another chance...just keep the first two albums, as a remembrance of things past.

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? Good to see you! When are you coming to town? Yay!

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

The whole problem with the celibacy thing is that, once one has decided that it has run its course, one has to find someone Worthy, or it feels as if the whole thing was for nothing. Which I suppose it would be, if I threw it away on a drunken/intoxicated fling.

But at the same time, it's a lot of baggage. I need a Selective Memory Generator. And a martini.

 
At 8:47 PM, Blogger Memphis Word Nerd said...

Charmed. That explains it. It's like the Xtina virus, except it's an even older and more pernicious version: the Shannen Doherty virus! Bless her heart, they still haven't come up with an innoculation for that.

And I've been here, just very quietly. Note to peanut gallery: yes, I am perfectly capable of being quiet. I just rarely choose to do so. It's not usually as much fun. I missed a couple of posts but I've read most of them.

As for Nashville, I'm hoping to get there next month but you know what they say about good intentions. The last couple of trips have fallen through so I'm not getting my hopes up. Well, not that meetings are worth getting my hopes up for but YOU are. Lunch/coffee/etc would be very fun.

I just accidentally tried to log in with the username "memphisWORKnerd". Enough said. It's time to call it a day. I'm going home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home