Monday, January 17, 2005

I've Been Smoking Cigarette Butts, I Thought You'd Know

I've been doing some hard travellin'
I thought you'd know
I've been hitting some hard travellin'
Way down the road
I've been doing some hard travellin'
Hard ramblin', hard gamblin'
I've been doing some hard travellin', Lord...


Thank you, Woody Guthrie.
Usually I make it a point to listen to a MLK Jr. speech today, but I read "I've Been to the Mountain" this morning and realized I wasn't up for the audio. So I hit up Woody instead.

I'm going to hang out with my sister and the Little Prince today. Shortly, as a matter of fact. He had to have his pictures done this morning. I also have to determine whether the administrative employees at work got today off. I believe so, which means I'm going to keep my three-day streak of doing jackshit.

I don't have anything nifty to talk about, so here's the media list.

What I'm Reading:
For once, nothing. I went to bed immediately after finishing High Fidelity and haven't picked another book, because I've been busy since then. However, it's a toss-up between You Got to Dance With Them What Brung You by the lovely Molly Ivins, and How The Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents, about which I've been hearing excellent things since high school. In all honesty, it'll probably be the Ivins.

What I'm Hearing
Right at the moment? O Fortuna. Previously Big Dipper by Built to Spill, and Hard Travellin' by Woody Guthrie. High notes from this morning include an unidentified bluegrass instrumental of When the Roll Is Called Up Yonder, Down In the Valley To Pray by the Three Pickers (hey, the guy was a reverend, the old-timey religious music is appropriate), and Bob Marley's Trenchtown Rock. Right now I'm hunting up Bob Dylan's Song to Woody.

Oh, Mama
Can this really be the End?
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again?

5 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Ghost of Goldwater said...

We seem to share a love of bluegrass too...
Marry me? ;o)

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

GoG, if I did boys with any kind of frequency, I would, but I couldn't guarantee you a good time, since all the hetero I have is currently committed to the pursuit of the Artist.

Would you settle for a CD swap? :)

 
At 6:06 PM, Blogger Special Sauce said...

ET, I love me some Nick Hornby, and the movie version of High Fidelity is one of the few that actually holds up well compared to the book. (Ok, and my mad, mad crush on John Cusack helps things along nicely.) I am now rather pissed that Rooooooob the idjit has my copy. (Another reason he sucked.)

That aside, go for the Molly Ivins- YGtDWTTBY is a damned fine book. Have you ever read any Jim Hightower? If you haven't, don't buy any, I'd gladly loan the ones I've got.

And no matter how adamantly non-churchgoing I am, (and it varies) there is something to be said for good, old-timey gospelly bluegrass.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! MaVin again! I am a message fool today! I just wanted to say, no wonder I adore you! We both have love for Woody Guthrie. Other than my husband (and his folks) I never meet anyone who knows of the Guthries and that saddens me. We go see Arlo nearly every year in concert. Heaven I tells ya.

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Pope Lizbet said...

MaVin, I must admit with chagrin that both the Artist and I thought AG was dead.
I don't know why we thought that -- the Huntington's, I think.
I want to go see Arlo in concert now, wah! with MaVin and ZL and ZAvocado!

----
ET -- awesome. I'm glad you love the gospelly bluegrass, it is a goodness.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home